Thursday, November 20, 2008

debut.


After much blood, sweat, and...well...yeah...it's finally here! - the 2008 University Book Store Holiday Gift Guide. Designed by my co-conspirator here at UBS, the lovely Liza, with all photography and styling by yours truly. Like I said earlier here on Rough Hewn, I'm really proud of the shots I took for this catalog. I'm able to see a significant improvement from last years work as well as the influence of all the expirimenting and photo research that I've been doing the last six months or so.

All of this shooting and styling has been really motivating as I begin building my first website (!) but it's also really showing me the areas where I still need a lot of training and experience. I was reading an interview of a great food photographer - Francesco Tonelli - who offered this advice:

"...while you’re still young and you are able to afford not to be paid--or not to be paid very much--and also while you’re still not threatening to professionals, try to go under the wing of some great master. That’s somehting I wish I had done myself at the beginning of my career. But it’s something that I failed in terms of A) not believing I could go so high, aiming for the best, most famous, most talented chefs, and B) being caught by some more rewarding salaried position where I’d have an important title instead of washing dishes for a master. Learn all you can—from the best. Wash dishes for a master while you can afford to."


I would love to begin working with/observing great photographers (DREAM: Roland Bello!, John Kernick or any of the photographers from Gourmet or Martha Stewart, for that matter!) and studios - soaking in as much knowledge and experience as I can. With such a small readership lately (patience, patience...), this is a total shot in the dark, but if you or anyone you know have a connection to a great photographer or studio who are willing to take an eager beaver under their wing....shoot me an email/comment.

Calling all Great Masters!!





No comments: