Thursday, July 10, 2008

on nature

Copyright 2008 Leah Dankertson Baker Lake


I love reading Annie Dillard more than I can say.
Her words are thoughtful and deep and at times literally take my breath away. Since the first time I read Dillard - during my time in living in Brooklyn - the outside world has been a much more vibrant place. I have always been a person that is very aware of what is going on around me, always looking, seeking, analyzing, but Dillard challenged me to look even closer - to get down on my hands and knees, lay on the ground if I have to. Nature has definitely always been a place where God woos and surprises me, but Dillard gave words to those experiences that so captured what I could previously not express. Camping this weekend reminded me that I still need to finish Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. Like anything overwhelming and good, I have had to take this book in stages. Letting it sink in slowly - savor every word.

Today, I stumbled upon brooklyn band,
The Secret Life of Sophia's song Outside. It's beautiful and haunting and seems the perfect background to a little quality time with Ms.Dillard.

{
Download a copy here}

No comments: