Friday, September 05, 2008

welcome to spain, baby!

Copyright 2008 Leah Dankertson: Highway
Lately I've been craving a road trip. Travel. The open road.

Finishing Don Miller's book, Through Painted Deserts last week only confirmed it that much more. He said something that has been rattling around my brain for the last few weeks:

"We get one story, you and I, and one story alone. God has established the elements, the setting, and the climax and the resolution. It would be a crime not to venture out, wouldn't it?

It might be time for you to go. It might be time to change, to shine out.

I want to repeat one word for you:
Leave.
Roll the word around on your tongue for a bit. It is a beautiful word, isn't it? So strong and forceful, the way you have always wanted to be. And you will not be alone. You have never been alone. Don't worry. Everything will still be here when you get back. It is you who will have changed." (from the author's note)

And I guess that's what I'm wanting right now. The type of change that only comes with experiencing new places. New sights, smells, tastes...allowing yourself to be the stranger - opening yourself up to the unfamiliar, unaware of where you are going and even more unaware of who you will be on the other side of it. I've told myself I want to be braver. Take more risks. And travel just seems like an exhilarating way of doing it. Plus, I find driving relaxes me. You make a good mixed tape (yes, still), pop it in, hit the road - perfect time to think, pray, listen, sing obnoxiously loud, and ultimately get away from the common, the everyday.

Unfortunately, with a gallon of gas costing the same as a trip to starbucks(!) and my 1989 Ford Tempo flashing lights on the dash that I have never seen before - reading about the road from the likes of Kerouac, Guevera, and Pirsig will have to suffice, for now.

That is...until October, when the new PBS series, Spain...On the Road again. premieres! Mario Batali, Gwyneth Paltrow, Mark Bittman, and Claudia Bassols - it's a foodie/travel/realitytv junky's dream! Whatever your opinions of Batali - sausage fingers and crocs aside - he's put together what looks like a really fun and beautiful show. I especially love seeing the "real" relaxed and playful side of all of these personalities - Gwyneth shortens words like I do! ("Batals!?!"). Take a look at the trailer - if each show is half as fun as this trailer (sing it Willie!), I might be able to stave off the travel bug a little longer, living vicariously through their adventures road tripping around Spain.
I say, ¡trĂ¡igalo en!

No comments: