Wednesday, October 08, 2008

portraits:::chelan






My dear friends were such good sports to let me take their portraits! I had decided before I left for Chelan that I was going to take each persons portrait, with the intent to create shots that were minimal, witty, slightly canned, and ironic - very deadpan. But in return, I was blessed with these pictures - which are much more raw and soulful than I could have ever tried to create on my own. Thinking about it now, I was probably trying to emulate someone's style that I'd seen and liked somewhere - I guess maybe I needed to just get it out of my system so that I could move on to the good stuff. I don't know, but I do know that these are only the beginning... {ie. what folks in the industry like to call..."the tip of the iceburg."}

Well, I have been frantically trying to finish up editing the photos from this weekend away - there are some real gems! - and will have them up on my flikr page shortly, but I couldn't resist sharing a sneak peak.

1 comment:

Gary said...

This will sound corn--because it is professional--but your work is very professional. I mean that in the best way possible.

Looking at each of these portraits did elicit some interesting feeling in me. Frankly, they remind me that we're all very complex and each of us has much more depth than what is captured in the smiling/happy/carefree snapshots that we are so accustomed to. I’m not saying that you captured the depth of everyone’s souls on film, but you did remind me, in an uncomfortable way, of their complexities.

Nicely done.