Tuesday, October 07, 2008


Today my co-worker Liza passed along this link to a great project that AIGA put together to get designers involved in promoting the importance of being a part of this year's election. I have posted some of my favorites - but this is only a taste, my friend! - there are some 255 submissions so far and many of them are not only beautiful, but also smart and impacting as well. Seeing these posters (which you can also download and print out at the link above) reminded me that while I may not directly affect policy in this country, I do carry a responsibility as a image maker and visual communicator. Think about it - the flag, the statue of liberty, the monuments - all designed by the artists/designers/Betty Ross's/Maya Lin's at some point to ignite and inform a distinct American visual identity.



I encourage everyone to check out these posters, print out a couple, post them, and not only be a part of getting the vote out in November, but of informing visual culture as well! Also, if you are in Seattle, 24 of these posters will be on display as part of the Ballard Artwalk on Saturday, October 11th- find out all the info here.

(PS. I could go on and on about this year's political spectacle, but I will spare you all the exciting details. But if you perchance are as interested as I am about making an informed decision this year, I would encourage you to check out a couple of sites I checked out this week: Don Miller's blog, his recent posts this week have been regarding his involvement in the Obama campaign. Also there, you will find this link which seeks to answer a lot of the fears many christians may have about Barack Obama - I would urge you to check it out - do the research and see where it may lead you. A little scary, I know...but trust me on this one.)

No comments: